Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Interview with 208 (Kyle Edmonds & Shelby Say)

Remove talked to premier garage-rock duo 208 about their origins, philosophy on music, and their explosive debut tape Enough! Enough! 


What's the origin of 208? How did it get started and what were the early days of the band/project like?

Kyle:  the name 208 comes from the address of a warehouse I used to practice at with my friends; it was far away from anything so we could make as much racket as physically possible and play until we couldn't hear anymore. That place acted as an incubator for everything I make now.
208 as a band was born sometime in mid-2018; I had recently cut ties with a bandmate and wrote/recorded the songs on Enough Enough in my bedroom a few months later; Shelby and I lived together and all the noise I was making seemed to spark her desire to play the drums.

Shelby: When Kyle asked me if I wanted to play with him I was totally on board because I'd wanted to be involved in a band for so long. I never expected to be a drummer, but that's just how it worked out and I'm super stoked to be a part of it. I learned to play through Kyle showing me how he wanted the drums for the songs, we would jam them and I started to throw in my own little parts. After about a year, right before we moved to Michigan we had our first show at a friend's house and now we're here.

What's the story behind Enough Enough? 

Kyle: the record is a direct response to what was happening in my life at the moment; I had intense feelings, recorded them on the spot and added nothing. the record is an image of the mental anguish I was watching my mother go through, struggling with my father being stricken by drug addiction and ego. For instance, "FEAR" is a scene where a man, controlled by the fear and confusion of who he is and what he wants. the man ultimately ends up so overcome with anger he strangles his partner, consciously watching the person he loves die by his hands. 

The decade is about to come to a close. What was your album of the decade?

Kyle: When I was young my dad was searching for car parts at the junkyard, and when he got home he called me into the garage to show me what he had found in the trunk of a car; it was almost every single Beatles album. My parents gifted me a record player alongside those records a few months later and the first I put on was “Beatles ’65” (the u.s. version of Beatles for Sale) and I listened to it every chance I got for years.

Shelby: There’s so many I could choose from…but I’d say it’s one of the first records I ever bought on vinyl, The Velvet Underground & Nico, that I found while in Atlanta. I listened to it a lot and was really inspired. That album helped me discover new bands that started to change my entire taste in music, which in turn helped me become a better version of myself as a human and an artist.

What was your favorite moment of the year?

Kyle: Playing devils night with Pharma and Toeheads. 

Shelby: Without a doubt it was moving to Michigan. I can’t tell you how long I’ve wanted to leave Florida. It didn’t feel like home. It wasn’t a place that inspired me. Even though I barely had enough money to move here it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I feel like I’ve had better times in the 7 months living here than my whole life in Florida. 

What can we expect next from 208? Any new music on the way?

Kyle: Yeah! we've got something in the works right now; we've been playing two songs that are still like the demo versions at our past few shows…it should end up being a "full length" record when we're done.

What's the band philosophy?

Kyle: don’t think twice.

Any band goals for 2020?

Kyle: we haven’t really thought of the future too much, but recording music and playing shows are the overall goals…hopefully some video stuff to come with the new music as well.

Shelby: play the drums harder and better.

Why does DIY mean to you?

Kyle: freedom. people doing exactly what they want and supporting those around them.

Shelby: empowerment through self-sufficiency, and the capability to fully express yourself in simple yet impactful ways. 

Questions by Joey Molloy