Friday, May 1, 2020

Interview with Powerplant

London synth-punk band Powerplant show us how to have a good time ...Hello, my name is Dee Putman. Joey and myself have been listening to London based synth-punk band Powerplant non-stop. I often play them loud on a bluetooth speaker on my night shifts at the gas station. Some customers are puzzled by what they hear while others ignore it completely. One particular middle-aged man who was about 6’8 and had crazy spiked pink hair and leggings seemed to really dig them, though. We reached out to Theo from Powerplant to ask him a few questions. 

Take us back to the beginning of the band. How did it get started? What were your goals? What got you into music in the first place?
I wanted to make music but didn’t know anyone else who would like to do so too. I heard on a podcast I could do it myself so I did it. First EP name was the band name also, but for the second one I changed it to Powerplant. All bedroom songs with never to be played. Weird internet project/desire. Around the release of ‘People In The Sun’ there were the people to play with and involvement increased.


In the world of “synth-punk” where most things have been done to death you still manage to have a unique sound, who are your musical & non-musical influences?
I try my best to not listen to a lot of music I really like. Hands down, no humblebrag, I have listened to the least cool (or not even) music out of my group of friends. Its a safer path to have an original point of inspiration to derive from rather than get too much into something and look for ropes out of being a total copy.


Who are some of the best/most important bands in your scene?
Try Permission, Gutter Knife, The Annihilated, Chubby. Tracy any London HC band drummer - they are all good.

You guys released your debut LP last year. How did that come about? Any stories behind the songs?
All songs are me imagining true life outside of what I know. 


If the world ever goes back to normal, do you plan on touring? How would you describe your live show?
We were ought to tour big this time of the year but hey. Live shows are faster and more stern.


What's the driving force behind Powerplant? What motivates you to make your music?
At this point it’s something I can associate myself with. Hope it stays that way for a while. It’s great fun. 

What's next for Powerplant?
EP is out now. You are next.