Saturday, April 13, 2019

Interview with Greyhound

AN INTERVIEW WITH...
GREYHOUND
Greyhound – Black Spring LP (2019)

Greyhound is the solo project of Ty, a multi-instrumentalist who also drums for the punk band Tooth. His album Black Spring released in February, and took off quicker than expected and resonated with a lot of people. We're very happy to have him for our first interview.

Remove Records: Tell us somethings about yourself and your project.
Greyhound: I wish i had some things to really say about myself but i can honestly say i really love music and they way i express myself is through my lyrics and production. Greyhound started off as a “lo-fi” indie bedroom project back in 2015 under the name “pup face” after listening to so much teen suicide and bulldog eyes. I decided to revive it after getting bored with my noise/PE project and i just wanted to try something new when it came to production and sampling and using a voice.


What are some of your musical influences? And what are some non-musical influences?
Dean Blunt is the biggest influence on my music as far as vocals and production. I also appreciate his no bs approach when it comes to music and he just does his thing which i have appreciated for the past 3 years of loving his music. Joseph Beuys and Albert Camus influence my music when it comes to creating the sound and feelings i try to convey with the experience of the greyhound project itself. 

What are your favorite venues?
My favorite venues to play with my band TOOTH are trumbullplex, kellys bar and we recently played trixies and that was sick. If im going to see someone perform i REALLY love saint andrews hall and the sanctuary.

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in music/ art?
All i can give is the generic answer which is just do what makes u happy. Audio/Visual art can be so stressful when yr trying to find a niche or what represents you but when i started with art i copied alot and just moved from there. Find inspiration first before you jump into art.

What messages or themes are you trying to convey through your art/music?

Greyhound is all about growth, moving forward, pain, and Focus. Alot of the lyrics are just my experiences and what swirls in my head constantly. Just the theme of a busy state of mind and working yr way out of it to become a new, and strong person. 

What are you working on next?
New album is due in june but releasing a single in may! Once i get alot of things figured out , expect music videos and just loosie material. I was not expecting the support for greyhound as much as i got and im so appreciative of it and i cant wait to do more.