Sunday, April 19, 2020

Interview with Ben Wallers

Hello, my name is Dee Putman and today I am very honored to speak to Ben Wallers (AKA The Rebel) from the Scottish band, the Country Teasers. Mr. Wallers is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated provocateurs in the post-punk genre on the level of genius of the late Mark E. Smith. It was a pleasure talking with him.

What have you been up to recently, art/life-wise?
I’ve been mastering and editing via minidisc onto tape my new album for a tape release by a company called Research Laboratories, it is called I'M SORRY ABOUT MY HAIR BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES GOLDILOCKS & THE BARE PORRIDGES SMOKE TRAK CIGARETS G 4 F-ORT BRING OUT YER DEAD. 

Life: I'm totally busy all day without a moment's rest from about 4.30 am to about 7 pm with my daughter who is 9 months old. Her Mum is with her Granny on Lockdown so it's just me & the kid. I adore her like CRAZY.


Tell me about The Rebel, how did the project start and what does the name mean?
The name comes from the film starring Tony Hancock from the 60s. His character was a loser working in the city trying to be an artist; he pulls it off, pretending to be an artist. It isn't a project: it's just my pseudonym. I started recording music in 1989.


What is it about racism, xenophobia, & sexism that fascinates you so much to write songs about it?
I am angry about Humanity being such a bunch of CUNTS to each other throughout its DISGUSTING history. I love satire because it is an attempt to teach moral lessons and criticise moral evils in a way which expresses lots of things like how ridiculous it is, how exasperating; also how humour is how we deal with it; and how the bleakest things are also the funniest; how ironic the whole deal is, the Human Programme. Hypocrisy. Of course there's love too, and altruism. I just don't seem programmed to comment on these aspects: i'm focused on evil. Sexism i love as a topic because it's so complicated. Our sexual instincts are UNFATHOMABLE: men and women. Mystery. Self-defeating' victims of the selfish-gene which just reproduces itself infinitely using us as innocent hosts.

What advice would you give to modern artists?
“You're in deep shit". (that's a quote from a film). ("Let me give you a piece of advice: you're in deep shit".)


Country Teasers had a strong Americana/Country influence. Did that come from a genuine appreciation of that genre of music?
Yes! You've hit the nail on the head; in my opinion, America is the birthplace of Music, as i appreciate it. Forget about the history of music pre 1930 for a minute and all the awesome classical shit that i love; i'm talking about the main genre, the really important one, rock and pop. It started with The Carter Family in the 1930s: they fused black music with white music. Rock and Pop evolved out of that. But then i love 1970s Nashville Country because it represents the decline of the west; and i love rap music; plus in about 1990 i met Robert McNeill and he's American and he introduced me to Pussy Galore and Butthole Surfers, among other things. Country music i used as a template for songwriting when i found myself starting a band because it's a good simple discipline format.


What is your favorite Star Wars film and why?
It's "Star Wars episode 4, A New Hope". I am actually watching Rogue One as we speak, i like that one a lot. Obviously i put on the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi too all the time, i mean all 3; i'd love to edit out the Ewoks; oh and by the way, i really think George Lucas's remastering of the trilogy in 1997 was a big mistake and i only watch the original 1977 - 83 versions if possible. Actually i'd love vhs copies of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi ... i have to watch old tapes from the tv ...
But really "Star Wars" the first one, 1977, is way ahead of the rest, for me; it's the atmosphere; the realism in the design, acting and script; the myth; the rest are all just bonus discs. Watching George Lucs on the reissue videos talking about his digital remixes, jesus christ ... his face looks like some toilet paper in a ditch with faeces on it, gently flapping in the breeze as Spielberg drives past in his cool truck on the way to the screening of "Ready Player One", a greatly superior film.