Sunday, April 21, 2019

Interview with NO FIX


INTERVIEW WITH...
NO FIX

Matthew Menard is the brains behind NO FIX, who just released the excellent Toxic Adult Demo. He is in many bands in the Detroit/Windsor scene, one of my personal favorites being the psychedelic-hardcore band Psychic Void. We want to thank Matthew for taking the time to talk with us about NO FIX and a bunch of other stuff.


Remove Records: Tell us somethings about yourself and your project.
Matthew: I am simply another marsupial making his way through this dry, treacherous landscape. I've done some things,  I've gotten myself into debt, and made some friends along the way. My current commitments are Brain Itch, Psychic Void and Disco Assault but this particular project NO FIX, is something I've been working on low key for a while. It's a direct source of me. As of lately, It's started to surface a bit more and I even released a cassette tape. 

What are some of your musical influences? And what are some non-musical influences? First song I ever learned on the drums was "Riot" by The Casualties... I love early 80's hardcore/punk and new wave indie stuff. But If I were ever stranded on an island and had to take one discography with me, It would be Black Sabbath (With Ozzy). It's really quite overwhelming these days but there is so many good bands and so much creativity going, I'm influenced by everything. But mostly my close friends and my dog, I do it all for him. 

What are your favorite venues? ​I'm lucky to have grown up next to Detroit. Definitely my favourite place to see live shows. I love Trumbullplex and what they do. I think it's all about the DIY spirit. Places like the Precinct, and house shows. Coop Katacombes in Montreal is pretty amazing too. Also anywhere that has something to skate in the bar... 

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in music/ art?​ I'm not sure the kids would wanna hear it from me. I think they've got it all figured out. The kids are gunna be alright. 

What messages or themes are you trying to convey through your music/art?​ We need to transcend beyond social tradition and cultural stereotypes, Personal growth should not be negatively received, and this whole thing is about perspective so try putting yourself in someone else's shoes. Also, try riding a skateboard. 

What are you working on next?​ when I get the chance, I am going to be recording a few more demo's over at Kaiser Sound Production In Windsor, ON and hopefully have an official EP released in the next little while. 

How do you feel about the future of music/art? 
​As crazy as things are right now, I think we are living in an exceptionally creative time. It almost feels like there are no ​boundary's and as over saturated as it may seem at times, you can really go anywhere and find what makes sense to you. I am pretty optimistic about the whole thing but it is unfortunate to see some of the transitions that have taken place, for sure. Just the over throw of technology sort of watering down the purity of where it all came from and the live show experience. It may make it difficult for the artist to make a living for their craft but at the same time we can start a whole online store with little overhead so its kind of what you make of it. I'm hopeful for the arts but I am quite uncertain what the next 10 years have in store for us socially.