Sunday, April 28, 2019

Interview with The Obscenities

INTERVIEW WITH...
THE OBSCENITIES

One of the wildest local bands I've ever seen is The Obscenities. They're a true punk band, led by bassist/lead singer Dee Putman. The Obscenities just put out an excellent cassette the Dirt Nap EP on Painters Tapes, and Dee's also got a sick youtube channel and is one of the funniest people around.

Remove Records: Tell us somethings about yourself and your project. 
Dee: I play bass and I’m the lead vocalist in a band called the Obscenities, which is a punk band I started with my best friend, Craig Garwood, years ago when we were just teenagers. It kinda started as a joke band inspired by the ridiculous excesses of punk, in the vein of GG Allin & The Meatmen. Basically it was a parody of really offensive & dumb punk. The band is on hold right now though. I’m trying to focus on other shit.

What are some of your musical influences? And what are some non-musical influences?
I love The Ramones & The Velvet Underground, they’re my two main idols. I also love James Brown & Charles Bradley. It’d be cool to be a soul singer but I can’t sing or dance. I also take a lot of influence from the Dead Milkmen, NOFX, DEVO, Big Boys, Minutemen, Toy Dolls, NoMeansNo, Jay Reatard, Erik Nervous and my friend’s bands Toeheads, The Waterheads, The Stools, Noise Bleed, Craig Garwood, The Long Stairs. I take outside influences from whatever; myself, people around me, etc. Most of the early Obscenities songs Craig & I wrote from just watching TV, getting drunk, and making each other laugh. 

What are your favorite venues? 
I don’t know, really. None stick out to me. Most venues, especially DIY venues, kinda fucking suck. Though I have enjoyed playing The Windsor Beer Exchange, Beaconsfield House, Ham House, & The Sanctuary. It’d be cool to play the Magic Stick one day. 


What advice would you give to someone just starting out in music/ art?
Who am I to tell people what to do? I’m a fucking idiot! I guess my advice would be to just do it. You can’t fail at artistic expression. Don’t think about the “why nots”. 

What messages or themes are you trying to convey through your music/art?
I don’t concern myself with messages. I just make music/art because I’m driven to do so. 

What are you working on next?
Recording new music and making a film. Maybe starting some new projects.


How do you feel about the future of music/art? 
In the future art will be irrelevant, in its place will be competitive hotdog eating; everyone will have their own TV show. People will be pissing in the streets and public guillotine executions will make a come-back.