Monday, May 6, 2019

Interview with Zilched

INTERVIEW WITH...
ZILCHED
Photo by Estavon Hawley


Zilched is a super cool noise pop band from Detroit who've been making a lot of noise around the city. Zilched puts on an excellent live show, and their stellar 2018 EP Pulling Teeth is out now on vinyl. We spoke with Guitarist/Vocalist ChloĆ« Drallos about music, art, and what her band is working on next.

Remove Records: Tell us somethings about yourself and your project.
Zilched: My name is ChloĆ«, I’m a Capricorn, a cat person and I like long walks on the beach. My project Zilched is made special just for you. With help from Nick Russo (Capricorn) and Elliot Thomas (Gemini)

What are some of your musical influences? And what are some non-musical influences?
Uhh where to start.. Pj Harvey is very special to me. As with Kim Gordon, Trent Reznor, Speedy Ortiz, it’s whoever I’m digging/listening to at the moment. I’ve been very deep into Tamaryn’s whole discography lately. I love how distinct each era of sound is with her, especially the newest album. It’s insane. I really think she’s one of the greats. 
Non-music wise, David Lynch is a pretty pivotal one for me. His whole universe tends to house me when I’m lost. (Music included) Also John Waters, Jutta Koether, Mike Kelly. All mediums all the time haha

What are your favorite venues?
Locally, I’d say Ghost Light in Hamtramck. Or the old Magic Stick.  We recently got to play Subterranean in Chicago which I was super stoked on since that’s been a favorite of mine for a bit. 

What advice would you give to someone just starting out in music/ art?
Go with your gut, be honest with your feelings and never compromise the things you care for. 

What messages or themes are you trying to convey through your music/art?
My biggest goal through art is honesty. I’m not gonna make anything I don’t believe in, even when things get embarrassing or uncomfortable. Hopefully I can convey to others that that’s ok. 
Or that it’s not.. lol. 


What are you working on next?
Might have an album written that may be taking shape shortly.. We also recorded a Velvet Underground cover, that we play occasionally, coming out soon this month. It’s a pretty good preview of where our sound has grown since the last release. 

How do you feel about the future of music/art? 
Stoked.