Wednesday, November 27, 2019

5 Records From: Dee Putman (Obscenities, Zip-It)

Yo yo I'm Dee, guitarist/bass player/lead vocalist for the Obscenities, synth player for Zip-It, honorable member of The Waterheads, and one-time member of Whip Sock. I was asked by Joey to write an article listing my top five favorite albums, I’m currently sitting on my couch, unshowered, greasy hair, wearing dirty clothes, contemplating my existence and the infinite void that awaits us all and ya know what? I really don’t feel like listing my “favorite albums” or whatever. I consider myself to be a pretty forward-thinking guy so instead, I am going to list albums that I have currently been obsessively listening to. Let’s begin! 

Darkened Apocalyptic Occult Goat Ritual by Luciation (2009)
 I can’t even pronounce this band’s name, which is fitting considering I can barely make out what I’m listening to whenever I put this album on. This is the most recent and maybe the last album from Danish raw black metal band, Luciation and boy is it an album to go out on. This album isn’t for the faint of heart, this album is for the dark few who have exhausted themselves on listening to every single piece of recorded sound from the early Norwegian black metal scene and are still craving more depravity. This album’s production is so fucking dirty I feel like I need a bath every time I listen to it. This album would disgust even the most seasoned black metal fan, I absolutely love it. This music is so loud and abrasive that you surrender yourself to the pummel of sound and it almost becomes a relaxing ambient soundscape. I don’t know if I can recommend this album to anyone but I think everyone should give it a listen. 

 Sexdrome by Sexdrome (2009) 
Here I have another Danish black metal album and fuck is it amazing. This is the self-titled album from Danish raw black metal/blackened punk band Sexdrome. This band combines the best of punk/hardcore with the best of European black metal. This genre needs more artists like Sexdrome to breathe new life into the genre of black metal and expand it into more experimental territory. This album is more “accessible” than Luciation but its production is still dirty and lo-fi as fuck. Listen to this album if you know whats good for you. 

Disassembly Line by Capitalist Casualties (1992) 
 The 90s West Coast power violence scene that this band was a part of took hardcore punk to it’s logical next-step, play fucking faster, & play fucking heavier. This album is probably one of the best hardcore albums ever. I know this a good punk album because it always makes me speed every time I listen to it in the car. I remember back when I was 14, I was listening to Big Black’s album Songs About Fucking on repeat at an extremely loud volume to get myself pumped up to fight a bully who had been picking on me. If I been listening to Disassembly Line instead it probably would have given me the strength to punch a fist sized-hole through the bully’s skull killing him instantly. 

 Primary Colours  by Eddy Current Suppression Ring (2007)
 Alright, time to move away from the field of extreme music into something softer. This is Primary Colours by Australian garage-punk band Eddy Current Suppression Ring (great band, shitty name), this album was recorded in a span of only 24 hours and this is one of the best garage albums I’ve ever heard. I discovered this band a few months ago and I feel like I discovered some hidden treasure that no one else knows about. I love this album’s angular and hook-filled songs, this is one of those albums that have no filler songs. When I first heard this album I dropped what I was currently doing and gave the music my full attention, when you hear an album like that you know its special. If you love garage punk like me then I highly suggest you check this album out. 

  Mcclusky Do Dallas by Mcclusky (2002)
 This is the second album from Welsh post-hardcore/noise rock band Mcclusky produced by Steve Albini. This is another hidden gem album where I feel like I’ve discovered gold. This album should be considered a classic of the post-hardcore genre. The opening track on this album is a fucking banger, this is another no-filler album. Every song fucking crushes. Check it out if ya dig post-hardcore. 

 HONORABLE MENTIONS: Collective Hardcore – Four Collective Hardcore Songs, Jackman – Bad Intentions.