Friday, November 22, 2019

5 Records From: Ty (Greyhound, Tooth, sunnhaus)

In this new segment; Remove artists, friends, and collaborators are invited to share 5 seminal records from their life with us. Whether the records changed the way they view music or directly influenced their writing process, they give us the inside scoop.
For our second installment of the series, Tyriq Hannah (greyhound, sunnhaus, Tooth) takes us through five of his all-time favorites. Just in the past month, both Tooth and sunnhaus have released powerhouse tapes. 

Check out Ty's picks:

Hold Your Horse Is by Hella (2002)
First time I heard this album was a little after exmilitary was released and it really blew me away first listen. I was just getting into drumming and Zach Hill really opened my eyes to how you can approach a kit and it made me dig deeper on his setup and how he just moved around while recording this. '1-800-ghost-dance' is such a fucking jam and also been a long time cousin is the best song on this album like those hill fills??? fuck.

Black Metal by Dean Blunt (2014)
From the god himself, Mr dean blunt. Black metal is extremely underrated and I truly believe it was a very polarizing moment in his solo career. His lyrics and production on Black Metal really shined his creative process and how I think Dean just thinks of music. With the incredible opener LUSH, the middle shining moment of X and the dark and riveting GRADE really solidified this album. Black Metal really taught me how to take risks on production and delivery of vocals, especially with dean’s very monotone voice I can relate to it and how he can just introduce himself on a track. side note: FOREVER is ungodly amazing and it's worth the entire listen.

Hollinndagain by Animal Collective (2002)
Animal collective really changed my life when i first heard them in middle school and this was their album that stuck with me the most in terms of how i view music. All these tracks are live and it was them at their noisiest and abrasive. With panda’s drumming, Geo’s noise manipulation and avey's screaming stuck with me how I could interact or just be seen by a crowd if I was to perform live. This also really made me want to start improvising with friends and jam in general.

One Nation by Hype Williams (2011)
my favorite Hype Williams album is One Nation but in terms of how it influenced me as an artist, this would be the one. I would say this album changed how I look to work with bandmates and the many instruments and elements that could be used to create an album or just a project. This album influenced my project Greyhound in the sampling sense and Sunnhaus on connection and communication when it comes to jamming. I would recommend listening to this at least 3 times in a row to REALLY get this album and especially track 4 and 1.

Al Fatihah by Black Unity Trio (1971)
There is no album like this at all anywhere. Rare free avant-garde jazz from the early 1970s, amazing stuff. This album really changed me in 2017 when I first heard this and I don't think I've changed since. It changed my spiritually, musically and personally. Hassan Al-Hut is the drummer on this and if i could meet him one time i want to tell him how much he changed my drumming in general. He is VERY all over while playing on this record but the way he plays just hits my soul like no other and also goes with the sax player Yusuf Mumin who steals the cake on the track John’s Vision. Id recommend this to ANYONE and also to my free jazz lovers. This is an amazing album front to back.

Honorable Mentions:
Abdul al Hannan - the third world
Seely - Seconds
Spazz - self-titled 7”
Milford Graves - Bäbi
MIKE - Renaissance Man