Sunday, January 12, 2020

5 Records From: Charles Stahl

In our '5 Records' series, we ask local artists to share with us five of their favorite records and explain their choices. 
Up next we have one of the most prolific punks in Detroit: Charles Stahl.
 Chuck serves as drummer for The Stools and is also a part of badass bands like Pharma, The Dumpsters, and H8 Mile (which is rumored to have a new tape coming). He's also behind the incredible Painters Tapes. Beyond that, the dude is a total underground music encyclopedia. 

Here are his picks:


Generic by Flipper
An album I came across in my early high school years. The second the feedback in “Ever” kicked in I was hooked. Basslines to die for from start to finish. Slow and filthy. Kind of like myself. 

House Rockin' by The Gories
I cant exactly remember when I was first shown The Gories but it must have been sometime in high school (Probably from will or kq.) Is this THE BEST Detroit Garage record? I think so. This record is the epitome of 'less is more'. Few records make me wanna boogie down quite like this. I don’t know if it's the simplicity of Peggy's drums, Danny Kroha’s tone, or Micks’s gritty vocals but this is an album I never want to end. 

Soul Food by The Oblivians
The Oblivians have such a strong discography it blows my mind. But at the moment, I think Soul Food takes the cake. Soul Food is nothing but rippers from front to back. My two Favorite genres are probably punk and garage, and I feel The Oblivians have the perfect balance between the two. 

Big Lizard In My Backyard by The Dead Milkmen
Between the satire, angst, and twang Big Lizard is just one perfect record. My father had instructed me to listen to the Dead Milkmen sometime in my early teen years and I've never been quite the same. Every time I went over to KQ's apartment I would put on his copy of this record. So much to the point he traded me it for a jacket I owned (I definitely came out on top with that trade). Also, that is one THICC lizard on that cover. 

Too Many Humans by No Trend
 This record sounds the way you feel when you're dealing with food poisoning from the subway. Maybe it's more like the way your stomach feels after a shot of tequila when you haven’t eaten all day. An album for those mornings you don’t want to get out of bed. Go to work. Speak to humans. Exist. No Trend brings the noise. 

 CrazyNDaLazDayz by Three 6 Mafia
 666

Uploaded by Joey