Wednesday, February 26, 2020

5 Records From: Chloë Drallos (Zilched)

In our "5 Records from" series we ask musicians to tell us about five of their most influential and personal favorite albums.
Photo: Kyle Lakin

Up next, we caught up with Chloë from Zilched to take us through some gems.
You can check out Zilched's most recent single "The Morning" out on Bandcamp now.
In the meantime, dig these picks!

We Be XUXA by Mika Miko
Mika Miko is basically the coolest band that ever happened. Formed while they were all in (or dropping out of) high school, this record to me just feels like unbridled youth and unashamed fun. Straight up chaotic at times, listen to “Totion” or the intro of “Wild Bore” and try to stay sitting down...

Twerp Verse by Speedy Ortiz

Written during and shortly after the trump election this record is filled with these articulate, manic/depressive, anthems of being fed up. Done so through Sadie Dupuis’ equally impressive(and self-aware) lyricism and guitar work. I bought this record when I first moved to Hamtramck a couple summers ago. Spent lots of time laying on the floor in front of a fan, playing this record on repeat and feeling like I have a lot to learn. Fav tracks: “Lean in when I suffer” or “Sport Death”

My Dreams Dictate My Reality by Soko

Soko gives zero fucks about sounding desperate, or whatever, in the ways we try to act like we’re not. This is definitely an ‘80s etc’ inspired record (produced by Ariel Pink nonetheless) but still feels real and personal. Incredibly fun and hooky but done with a heavy heart. Fav tracks: “Ocean of tears” & “Bad Poetry” and if you’re feeling extra into it, check out any/all of her music videos. Please.

Matriarchy EP by Miss June

Front to back this one’s full-on middle fingers in the air, fuck the haters kind of energy. Perfect for post break-ups and dealing with “haters” of all kinds. Lol. But honestly just great, smart, noisy punk from New Zealand. I’ve seen it described as Le Tigre meets Sonic Youth meets Weezer. Fav track: “Drool”

Is The Is Are by DIIV
I did not like this record when I first heard it in 2016. Lol. It’s been my most consistent palate cleanser/best friend to get inspired by/fall back into since then. It tells a kind of unaware story of one foot in self-discovery and one foot in self-destruction. Dark but sensitive, through post-punk/krautrock/~Nu-gaze~ Truly some of my favorite melodies and tones, both vocally and instrumentally. Fav tracks: “Incarnate Devil” “Valentine” and ofc “Dopamine” & “Dust” because I have no fan-girl shame.


Uploaded by Joey