Sunday, April 26, 2020

Interview with J. Walker

J. Walker & The Crossguards is a rock band from Detroit led by the man, J. Walker.
Their latest single "Memories" is part of a series of singles the band is releasing over the coming weeks, and they put on a killer live show (for future reference, whenever there are live shows again). We were stoked for this interview with J that covers his history playing in bands, influences, the Crossguards new single, martial arts/meditation, and more. Enjoy!



 J. Walker & The Crossguards



Remove Records: Can you tell us about your background? What bands are you a part of?
J. Walker: First I would like to thank you for wanting to interview me. Means a lot. Well I had my first band back in 05, it first called Velvet Audio haha yeah I know.....then we changed our name Siddhartha and found some success locally. Thats were I met long time collaborator Zenas Jackson. Who has played drums with me in numerous projects over the years. I have played in a bunch bands. Among them were The GO, Magic Jake and the Power Crystals, and John Krautner all bands affiliated with Burger Records. Then theirs my absolute favorite band to play with Ultimate Ovation! For those who don't know, Ultimate Ovation is an old school Detroit Soul band that has a history that stretches back to 70's. I also play occasionally with my brother from another mother, and awesome photographer Carjack. Of course J.Walker and The Crossguards.

Your music blends a lot of different genres, what kind of stuff do you typically listen to?
Haha yeah I'm a genre jumper! I get bored fast. Part of this is that I play with a lot of different musicians each with a different sound. I love the 60s and 70s when you could follow a musicians credits on an album. Like Cornell Dupree or Steve Cropper....they played on so many records. I guess in a way thats what I'm trying to do. As far listening I like a bunch Afro-Beat, Fela Kuti, William Onyebor, Ebo Taylor etc.

What is one thing people would be surprised to learn about the Crossguards?
Surprised about The Crossguards? No surprises what you see is what you get! Full transparency, isn't that what we all want.

Can you tell us a bit about your new single "Memories"? Is it a part of a series of singles?
Memories is about our connections with the past. How those that came before us lived and choices they made, good or bad effect us. Its our 3rd release. Every Tuesday during the months of April and May we will be putting out a new single each with new art.


I've been obsessed with music videos lately. Is there a plan to do any music videos with the singles?
Well I have some ideas swimming around up there. Hopefully we'll make out of this current pandemic! This is truly a mess. But um yeah, watch out for a video later this year.

Do you have hobbies outside of music?
I been really getting into Tai Chi or Qi Gong is I believe the more correct way of saying it. I do deep breathing exercises and different little stretches to move around my energy or Qi. It builds up your Immune system and de-stresses you, which is very important especially in theses times.

Are there any musicians/artists/etc that would be a dream collaboration for you?
A dream collaboration? I would love to just jam with Thundercat, that guys is doing some things. I missed him. He was supposed to be playing Detroit back in March, but this COVID-19 stuff started jumping off and he had to cancel the date. I was a little bummed out by that. I filmed a video of me playing guitar to his song "Black Qualls" I was surprised at how many hits it got. Go figure huh?

Are there any up and coming bands/musicians that you're really excited about?
One local band that intrigued me is a band called Anomaly. Its just weirdo punk and I like it! Another band I like is Shorsey they're good, and really showed us some love a few months back at The Old Miami.




What advice would you give to someone who's just starting out in music?
If you love doing music then keep on doing it!

How do you feel about the future of music/art?
Well music and art is probably going keep on going, finding new ears to listen, eyes see and new hands to create it.