Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Interview with Eat Da Rich


We typically talk to musicians on this blog, but today we have the absolute pleasure to talk with Simone from EAT DA RICH, a great design/clothing company from Detroit that uses upcycled material to make exciting, handmade anti-fast fashion!!!!! EAT DA RICH has a new earring collection "Precious Moments II" plus a unisex scent about to drop called "EAT DA RICH No.1".
Check out photos of their new stuff and our interview with Simone below. Enjoy!


RR:Thanks for taking the time to speak with us! Can you tell us a bit about yourself and EAT DA RICH?
EDR: My name is Simone Else and I invented EAT DA RICH.  I started by selling vintage a decade ago and then upcycling/repurposing came into play soon after.  I realized that I didn't want to work for anyone else and had some jobs along the way that helped me learn how to do that.  Slowly but surely I've been able to make my living from my ideas through my brand.

What are some places you draw inspiration from for your work?  
Used to be a lot of action movies and perverse content from side jobs I had but these days it's a lot more therapeutic and stems from abundance.  Shit that really makes me depressed or gets my blood flowing, good or bad.  Making new things from old possessions of the past works best to help me feel mentally stable. 


Is there a collection or a specific era from the EAT DA RICH collection that stands out to you?  
omg no, I mean if you looked at my shop you wouldn't believe me that everything is made by one person, it's psychotic.  I can say that with each collection I release I am feeling more and more centered with production.  Whether its earrings or whatever... I'm honing in more and more on what I want to do and enjoy doing vs. "what I think will sell" or kicking out numbers like I have had to in the past to pay the bills.

Are there any mediums of art you haven't worked in yet that you're interested in trying out?  
Forever and ever...I just got an air brush machine and my friend gave me a lesson and I already have work I made from that one night in print, it's so fun.  On my list of new stuff to invest in to broaden my craft I have rock tumbler and wood whittling tools if that gives you an idea of where I'm at, haha.

Who are some local designers people should know about? Or Local photographers/models/artists? 
hmm, since covid I havn't gotten to work with that many people but I did get a chance to help with wardrobe on Tiny Jag's new music video, should be out soon.  She's a fucking powerhouse super star and has the personality of royalty to boot.  Def check her out...  Miles Marie is my go to partner in crime for taking a lot of my photos and helping me get ideas out of my head, we have a good work flow.  We trust and respect each other in our respective trades so that makes it easier and gives way more room for fun, which is what this is all about.  I wanna work with Coastwild modeling soon, shit now that I'm on a roll I guess there are a lot.  Detroit rules.  Milfie Bitch is a total badass musician mommy babe, I love following her on IG.  The new Kelly Jean Caldwell album "Birdie" is a total banger...I dont know if it's out yet but keep your ears peeled.  FFTY is like family and a total creative beast to work with and best drunk gazelle modeling eyes.  Bethany Shorb is constantly amazing me with her production and genius ideas and fast, how is she so fast on those drops?


How do you feel about the protests going on? 
Probably the way a lot of people do...they're important but I wish humanity was so far beyond this... it makes me really low down when I accept how far we have to go.  I voted today, fuck Trump and all these boomers and old cock suckers who abuse their power... but it's everywhere and we just have to not give up.

Do you think the current events will have a positive effect in Detroit in the future?  
I have no idea


What kind of music do you typically listen to? 
 
Right now A LOT of Nilsson, Paul Simon and Janet Jackson.

What kind of car do you drive?  
Volvo Turbo 940

How do you feel about the future of clothing? 
I guess I don't feel much either way.  I'm happy upcycling is trending but y'all still need to stop giving your money to Amazon and McDonalds.