Thursday, April 23, 2020

5 Records From: Joey

Hey hey,  Joey here. Hope your quarantine is going well.
I play in The Fluids & also happen to be an editor for this here blog. 
 Today I'll be telling you about 5 Records that I've been jamming the hell out of. There's absolutely no chance I could deliver an "all-time top 5" or "most influential" albums list,  it just wouldn't hold up at all, since I'd have changed my mind in a couple days.  Instead, I'm just shouting out some rippers I think you need to hear! 



I Did It All For You by Murderer
Featuring members of Hank Wood and Crazy Spirit, I knew it was bound to be good. The thing is I can't say I've ever heard anything like this before. Sure, its punk, but there's also a healthy dose of death-rock, country, and weirdo stuff thrown in the mix. It's a concept album that seems to focus on the themes of crippling obsession and desire. Chanty vocal delivery that makes you wanna holler along to every song. Rollicking and roaring from start to finish.


S/T 7" by Pinocchio
Holy hell. One of the best debut releases out there. Pinocchio fuses old school punk, rock and roll, and perhaps some opera. Mary Jane's vocals are top of the line. Every song packs a punch. Clocking in at only 12 minutes long, they have me begging for a full length.


Live 1975: The Rolling Thunder Revue by Bob Dylan
This here bootleg captures Bob at the peak of his powers. Following the release of Blood On The Tracks, a heartbroken Dylan assembled a traveling jug band of old friends and set off for a cross-country tour purposely playing obscure spots and small venues. It's all captured in the new Scorsese film of the same name. What you need to know is these recordings are completely electric. Bob is full of conviction and passion. There's no snobbery or shenanigans- just the kid at his best.  Highlights from the set include "Isis", "Tonight I'll be Staying Here With You", and the definitive version of "Knocking On Heavens Door."


Hejira by Joni Mitchell
Joni Mitchell - Hejira (1976, SP-Specialty Pressing, Gatefold ...
This is a record that stands alone. Written while on the Rolling Thunder Revue (mentioned above) and a cross-country road trip that spanned Maine to California, Hejira is a majestic and sprawling album.  It's like a road trip, laced with escapism. It has a cosmic folk quality, with bass from Jaco Pastorius. In terms of lyrics, Joni is at the peak of her powers as she describes vivid stories and surreal vignettes.


I've Had It 7" by Kid Chrome
So, I actually know absolutely nothing about this record or band. In fact, I'm listening to this for the first time as I write up this post. I couldn't think of a 5th record off the top of my head and what I'm listening to here is just some perfect punk. Dirty riffs, passionate vocals, and some cool effects for good measure. I found this on Harakiri Diat, a youtube channel that posts a gold mine of punk-adjacent stuff almost every day. That's what I've been digging on the most lately is these youtube channels that are so damn curated. Through them, I got into bands like Powerplant, Institute, The Black Egg, and now Kid Chrome! Definitely dig in if ya haven't before.